The general election is just around the corner. Ballots will be hitting Grays Harbor mailboxes soon. Democrats are running for the tall grass on everything from Obamacare to President Obola, whose approval ratings are tanking. And tanking. And tanking. And some voters are running from voting.
Political gridlock at the local, state and federal levels has left many frustrated and disillusioned. In many key races, voters say they dislike both major party candidates. The “why bother?” crowd is out in force in some contexts.
Don’t you believe ’em. The mid-terms matter. Here are eight simple reasons plus one to vote this year, in no particular order (Grays Harbor ballots are set to go out beginning October 15):
- If you don’t vote, others will, electing those who may not share your values or priorities.
- Well-heeled partisan interest groups will out-shout you if you are silent at the polls.
- Control of the Grays Harbor County Commission. For the first time in decades, fiscal conservatives have a chance to win a majority at the county level.
- Sitting out the election season will only further entrench entrenched interests.
- Do you really want Nancy Pelosi back as Speaker of the House?
- I-591 and I-594. Your Second Amendment rights are at risk.
- If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain.
- It’s your basic civic duty. Voting is how Americans “speak” and “act.”
#9 and Top Reason, from German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer:
Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a theologian, martyr, and spiritual writer. His writings on Christianity’s role in the secular world have become widely influential, and his book The Cost of Discipleship became a modern classic.
Bonhoeffer became known for his staunch resistance to the Nazi dictatorship, including vocal opposition to Hitler’s euthanasia program and genocidal persecution of the Jews. He was arrested in April, 1943 by the Gestapo, and imprisoned at Tegel prison for one and a half years. Bonhoeffer was later transferred to a Nazi concentration camp. After being allegedly associated with the plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, he was briefly tried, along with other accused plotters, including former members of the Abwehr (the German Military Intelligence Office). Bonhoeffer was executed by hanging on April 9, 1945, as the Nazi regime collapsed, just two weeks before Allied forces liberated the camp and three weeks before Hitler’s suicide. (Wikipedia)
The man had spine. Do you?
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK at CONSERVELOCITY.