Commissioner-Elect Vickie Raines joined Commissioners Gordon, Welch and new Commission Chair Wes Cormier at this morning’s County Commish meeting. The discussion covered candidates for the District Court Judge seat, Commissioner Board/Committee Representations for 2015 – who’s going to serve on what – budget items and some other cool stuff.
I could give you a detailed recap, but you’d probably run out of No-Doze. So here are some highlights:
District Court Judge Vacancy
The commissioners agreed to begin the interview process for the vacancy on the District Court bench on Wednesday. The vacancy is a result of last month’s appointment of Judge Stephen Brown to Grays Harbor Superior Court. Finalists under consideration for the judicial appointment were announced this morning. They are, in no particular order: Andrea Vingo, Kyle Imler and David Mistachkin.
Imler is a public defense attorney and the “preferred” candidate of the Grays Harbor Bar Association. A criminal defense attorney, Mistachkin also has strong backing from the local bar association. Although not an “active or an honorary member“ of the local bar association, former deputy prosecutor Vingo submitted application materials to the commissioners who make the appointment.
The applicant interview process with all commissioners begins on Wednesday morning, November 19.
- Sixty-nine percent (69%) of general fund spending is in the Law and Justice categories. This includes clerk, coroner, district court, juvenile, superior court, sheriff, security and public and indigent defense. It’s below the average amount spent by several adjacent counties.
- The commissioners voted to increase the Indigent Defense Contract for Superior Court from $500 to $575 per case.
- There will be a special meeting on budget balancing in the large meeting room in the county administration building tomorrow, November 18, at 1:00 p.m.
- If you can’t live without a current copy of the General Fund YTD Cash Flow Comparison, holler. Be happy to give you mine.
Commissioner Board/Committee Representations for 2015
Commissioner-Elect Raines asked to have the ability to provide input regarding 2015 committee assignments. She requested and received a list of assignments, which typically change when a new chair is seated. Commissioner Gordon suggested putting the assignments off for a week to give Raines a chance to weigh in. Commissioners Cormier and Welch concurred. So stay tuned.
Commissioner Cormier expressed a desire to establish a new Hiring Committee related to hiring county employees. He proposed including a county commissioner on such a committee, “So an elected official answerable to the public is part of the process.” Discussion will continue next Monday.
- November 19: Commissioner Cormier is holding a public meeting related to the Navy’s electromagnetic warfare training on Wednesday. The “scoping” meeting will be held at the Pacific Beach Elementary School Gym from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- November 20: Commissioner Cormier will host a Town Hall meeting at 6:00 p.m. at Grays Harbor Fire District 8 in Pacific Beach.
County Commission meetings are held in the County Administration Building every Monday at 9:00 a.m. in the small conference room and at 2:00p.m. in the large meeting room. They are open to the public and usually include some pretty good free coffee (or so I’m told. I don’t touch the stuff. :)). TTFN.