President Donald Trump issued an executive order in January that included threatening to slash federal funding from sanctuary cities if they refuse to cooperate with immigration authorities and continue giving safe haven to criminal illegal aliens. Some “sanctuary city” mayors, including Seattle’s Ed Murray, are vowing to continue shielding illegal aliens accused of crimes from federal immigration authorities.
Murray even said he’d be willing to sacrifice “every single penny” of federal money, including $10 million for the Seattle Police Department, if keeping it meant cooperating with federal immigration authorities to deport illegal aliens accused or convicted of committing further crimes in the U.S.
Fine. Because threatening to yank federal funds from these cities is a dumb idea. For one thing, it makes the Trump administration look like it’s as sensitive as a brick, willing to ‘rip families apart’ that arguably shouldn’t be here in the first place, and – sniff – probably doesn’t even leave cookies and milk out for Santa on Christmas Eve. Also, such action faces an uphill legal battle. Mr. Ed and every elected bleeding heart lib in the country is or soon will be queuing up at the nearest courthouse to file suit to avoid compliance with Trump’s E.O. And legal precedent suggests that fed “defunding” sanctuary cities would be difficult, if not impossible. (Hello, 9th Circuit?)
Besides, we all know that jurisdictions that resist cooperating with federal immigration enforcement experience lower crime rates and are “safer for everyone,” with stronger economies, right? Because if you enter the country illegally, you have such high regard for the law?
So why not let such communities continue to welcome illegal criminal aliens? I mean, criminal illegal aliens offer so many benefits to these municipalities, yes? So why are big meanies like Trump and Jeff Sessions threatening to cut off federal funds from these Shangri-Las? Can we all hold hands around the campfire and sing Kum-By-Yah?
By the way, dear mayors, if you’re going to pick and choose which federal laws you comply with and which ones you ignore, does that include federal laws related to child porn, drug enforcement, illegal weapons possession…. Bah-dah-bing, bah-dah-boom? Where does it stop? Just wondering.
I have a better idea. Rather than complying with Trump’s “mean-spirited and unrealistic executive order,” how ‘bout Donald Trump issue something like:
Dear Seattle, San Francisco, New York, et.al.:
You’re right. Rather than pulling federal money from you over your sanctuary city policies, please be advised that I am hereby directing all ICE officials to remove themselves from your jurisdiction, effective thirty (30) days from today’s date. To wit:
- All Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices in your jurisdiction will be closed.
- All ICE activities in your jurisdiction will cease and desist.
- Any matters related to criminal illegal aliens will be handled wholly and solely by local law enforcement, on your dime. (This shouldn’t be a problem, seeing as how you have plenty of money to file suit against the Trump administration.)
If you persist in retaining your “sanctuary city” status at the end of ninety (90) days, all federal law enforcement authorities and operations will cease and desist within your jurisdiction. This includes, but is not limited to, all responsibilities and operations conducted by:
- Bureau of Industry and Security – Export Enforcement Program
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service – Office of Law Enforcement
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
- United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
- United States Marshals Service
- Internal Revenue Criminal Enforcement Division
- Department of Veterans Affairs Security and Law Enforcement
- United States Postal Inspectors
- United States Intelligence Community
- The U.S. Park Police
- The Federal Bureau of Prisons
- The CIA
Additionally, all United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) personnel will also vacate your jurisdiction as long as your “sanctuary” status remains in effect. This will include, but is not limited to, the cessation of all operations and reassignment of personnel per:
- Transportation and Security Administration (TSA)
- United States Coast Guard (USCG)
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- United States Secret Service (USSS)
All of the above operations previously conducted by said federal law enforcement authorities will be conducted at the local level, on your dime, for as long as you persist in retaining your “sanctuary city” status. Should you care to reconsider such status, please be advised that the reinstatement of such federal officials, offices and operations may require six months to a year.
Because illegal immigrants are such a boon to the local economy and ‘sanctuary city’ jurisdictions have less crime than their counterparts, we figured you won’t mind.
Have a nice day.
P.S.: Dear illegal criminal aliens: You are now free to move to any “welcoming” sanctuary city you choose, so you can help boost its economy and reduce the crime rate. The line forms to the Left.