Smell that sweetness? It’s a breath of freedom. Choice. Competition. It’s the refreshing, invigorating scent of a red wind blowing through Grays Harbor.
Once upon a time in the not-so-long ago, Grays Harbor was a deep blue county. Marched lock-step to the Democrat tune. Any candidate running as anything other than a D was doomed.
Not anymore. Those days are gone.
The sea change started with Herb Welch’s election to the county commission in 2010. This was the first crack in the blue wall at the county level. It was followed by Republican Wes Cormier’s defeat of Dem incumbent Terry Willis two years later. Along with Welch, Cormier’s victory secured a Republican majority on the county commission for the first time since the 1930s. This was followed by Cormier’s successful re-election bid in 2014.
– Democrats have been shut out of the county commission in the last couple of elections, when Vickie Raines ran and won as an Independent/No Party Preference in 2014. Democrats were shut out again two years later when Independent Randy Ross unseated Democrat incumbent Frank Gordon.
– In 2018, Grays Harbor Democrats failed to field a candidate to challenge Raines, who ran and won unopposed.
– After prior runs under the Democrat banner, incumbent Sheriff Rick Scott apparently saw the hand writing on the wall and quietly switched to No Party Preference.
– In 2018, Republican challengers Jodi Wilke and Jim McEntire (24th LD) lost in Clallam and Jefferson Counties. But they both won in Grays Harbor.
– In this year’s County Auditor race, Republican Joe MacLean eked out a win over Democrat incumbent Chris Thomas.
– Although losing statewide, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Susan Hutchison carried Grays Harbor.
Tally those Republican wins. Now. Can you say “Epic Smackdown”? How ’bout “Red Wave”?
The Party of Debt, Dependency, and Detroit has turned increasingly ridiculous and vicious as Desperation Fever takes hold. Seeing Grays Harbor voters increasingly reject their failed policies and bankrupt ideologies, Grays Harbor Democrats are becoming more and more puerile and petty. They’re reduced to trolling Facebook pages. Filing frivolous lawsuits. Trashing their opponent’s signs.
They’re in trouble. And they know it.
No surprises here. These are desperation tactics. They’re trotted out every time the empty suit Democrat agenda is exposed as an empty suit. They’re the predictable result of failed policies, mob rule, and collective group think from the party that thinks More Government and higher taxes are the solution to every problem. (Newsflash: “Resist” isn’t a solution. It’s a stupid slogan that’d give any three year-old a run for their money.)
Expect Grays Harbor Dems to get kookier as they keep losing ground. More shrill. Lurch further left.
Maybe we can sell tickets?